- Coming this Fall is a new publication celebrating the Birth of Jesus to be published in time for the Christmas season’s gift-giving. The goal is a book of about 100 to 125 pages, with more than 100 illustrations from the artistic traditions of both the Western and Eastern Church. The book will be produced in the 8.5″ x 8.5″ format with glossy color cover front and back with color inside pages on white paper stock. The cover design is not final. The subtitle will be: The Nativity of Our Lord in Scripture, Art & Christian Tradition.
- Here’s a preview of the organization and the progress as of 5/7/2022 A.D.
- Preface. Complete but the details will have to be adjusted to final book content. Illustrations 1 to 14.
- Part 1. St. Luke’s pre-Nativity narrative (Luke 1) Complete. Illustrations 15 to 26.
- Part 2. St. Luke’s Nativity narrative (Luke 2). Complete. Illustrations 27 to 37 (with one possible addition).
- Part 3. St. Matthew’s Nativity narrative (Matthew 1 & 2). Complete. Illustrations 38 to 52 (againl with one possible addition).
- Part 4. The Pre- and Post-Nativity Traditions: The Great “O” Antiphons offices for Dec. 18th to Dec. 24th. Complete. Illustrations No. 53 to 67. The Twelve Days of Christmas with focus on Dec. 25th to Jan. 5th, with a key word or phrase for each day. In progress. Illustrations 68 to 73 (as of 5/7).
- Part 5. Christmas Traditions Around the World. In progress. This section will include a history of the ups and downs of Christmas celebrations in the United States and England, the introduction of Christmas trees, the St. Nicholas tradtion with its many variations, the influence of Dickens’ A Christmas Carol, seasonal foods, worship traditions, and music.